How Do I Know If I Have a Sexual Harassment Case?

     Sexual harassment is a form of prohibited sex discrimination under both state and federal law.

     If you have endured severe or pervasive conduct of a sexual nature that a reasonable person would consider abusive, you may be a victim of sexual harassment.

     Also if you have to put up with offensive conduct like that in order to keep your job, you are probably a victim of sexual harassment.

     Petty slights and isolated incidents usually won’t be enough. But if the conduct creates a work environment that is offensive, then it violates the law. Of course it must be uninvited by you.

     Offensive conduct includes jokes, slurs, name calling, ridicule, and put-downs with sexual overtones.

     It can come from your supervisor, or any fellow employee. It can also be conduct by a customer.

     Your employer should have policies which tell you how to report harassment. For your claim to be viable, you must follow those policies.

     Remedies for sexual harassment are similar under Kansas and federal law. The federal law covers employers with 15 or more employees, while Kansas law applies to those with 4 or more. Complaints may be filed with EEOC, Gateway Tower II, 400 State Ave., Suite 905, Kansas City, KS 66101. The phone is 1-800-669-4000. Kansas complaints are filed with KHRC, 900 SW Jackson, Suite 568S, Topeka, KS 66612. Their phone is 785-296-2215.


Richard H. Seaton, Sr.

Senior Partner